Wednesday, July 19, 2006
How I Puked In My Morning Coffee
(updated below)

USA Today has published a . On the receiving end is Sam Brownback, a far right Republican who no one in the mainstream has ever heard of.

Let me set the scene for you - an Iowa church basement (obviously not your usual church basement, where you study the bible and meet with friends and family… no, this is one of those political church basements) with many members sitting around, opining about the failure of President Bush to turn the country into a theocracy. Then, Sam Brownback walks in as some sort of Christianist savior, promising that he holds all these far right views close to his heart, implying that a vote for him will save the country from the leg humping gays and the immorals who wish to use clumps of cells to save the lives of real people.

And now I vomit.

With Christianist pandering the highest I have ever seen it in Congress, I can’t believe that some people feel that politicians are not paying enough attention to their far right agenda. I understand that none of these things are actually being made into laws - come on, does anyone really expect these radical right wing things to become law? The religious right has some power, but not that much power. The mainstream acts to check both the far right and the far left.

That paragraph was muddled, but I’m still half asleep (as you can probably tell by these weird asides. Meh)

My point, far right peeps, is that your problem isn’t that people you vote in do not pay attention to your wants. They do, but your wants are so far… like, gone from the mainstream, that the rest of the country will slap them right back down. You don’t have a politician problem, you have a people problem. Your representatives are representing you, but your numbers are not as big as you think they are.

Personally, I don’t even think it’s physically possible for the country to pay anymore attention to your agenda. Besides Iraq, Israel, and Lebanon, that’s all I see every.single.day.

UPDATE1 9:00 AM: Just so people don’t think I’m unfairly picking on the right and their out of the mainstream ideas (well, actually I am… but still), let me give you an example of one of my wishes that will never happen because it’s so far out of the mainstream.

I wish I could go to the corner gas station and buy some pot, instead of having to cross every time I want to get stoned. The mainstream will never allow this to happen, but I wish it would.

And I don’t even get that many politicians lobbying for my wishes.

The best thing I can hope for is that I won't get a ticket when I get caught. Which, around here, I won't, but they will take my pot... and then I'll be out of pot and quite unhappy.

See, we don't all get our views made into laws, because, well, all of our views are not everyone else's views.


** Don’t forget to vote for this week’s


Tags:

|
Links to this post:
Create a Link