Thursday, July 13, 2006
Bad Analogies or Biblically Illiterate? Why I Don't Hang With Other Progressive Christians
There's this site, called Faith in Public Life.org, and they are trying to be something like a religious Huffington Post. They have a news section and a blog section, although their current roster of bloggers is slim to none, and they sometimes go for days without a new blog thread. Today's blog post comes from the Rev. Peter Laarman. I understand the point Laarman is trying to make; he is saying that not only does torture destroy those who are tortured, it also destroys those who do the torturing. It has a corrosive effect on the morals and morale of those, including the larger society, who utilize it. I mean, remember how they used to complain about the effect Bill Clinton's blow job might have on young Americans?

Anyway, in the course of the article, Larramn writes:
[W]e seem to have forgotten [a lesson from history], we can boast all we wish about our vaunted freedom and democracy, but in the eyes of the civilized world we wear the mark of Cain.(Emphasis added)


The mark of Cain. I will direct your attention to Gen. 4:11-15 (Revised English Bible):
"Now you [Cain] are accursed and will be banished from the very ground which has opened its mouth to receive the blood you have shed. When you till the ground, it will no longer yield you its produce. You shall be a wanderer, a fugitive on the earth." Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is heavier than I can bear; now you are driving me off the land, and I must hide myself from your presence. I shall be a wanderer, a fugitive on the earh, and I can be killed at sight by anyone. The LORD answered him, "No: if anyone kills Cain, sevenfold vengeance will be exacted from him." The LORD put a mark on Cain, so that anyone happening to meet him should not kill him.(emphasis added)

So, if I understand both the Bible and Rev. Laarman correctly, because the United States has engaged in torture we are now protected from vengeance by divine decree?

I don't get it.
|
Links to this post:
Create a Link