Saturday, March 25, 2006
I Can't Support These Immigration Laws
Reading through some news articles today, I ran across on the immigration protests that are breaking out across the country. I have yet to comment on these new immigration laws proposed by Frist --well I’ve commented on them a little bit, but not about the laws themselves-- and I realized that I really didn’t know where I stood on this issue. After giving it some serious thought, I’ve come to a few conclusions.

First, I do believe that we need to tighten up our borders. There is a huge, gaping hole in our Mexican border for terrorists to move themselves through. I can strongly get behind any law that would actually strengthen the border itself. Providing more border patrol would really help close the gap a bit. If we are going to protect our borders, we need real, physical things, not laws. Terrorists that are coming into the country will not simply stop because our laws are stricter.

Secondly, I cannot support these laws proposed by Frist. To even think about punishing organizations, such as churches, that help immigrants gain basic human needs is an atrocious slap in the face of basic human rights. It doesn’t matter if a person is here illegally, or not, people should not be penalized for helping them stay alive. Hopefully through more protests, Republicans will back away from Frist and realize that it would be a bad move for Republicans to take a blatant stand against basic human rights.

About 200 people protested outside a town hall-style meeting held by Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., a leading sponsor of the House bill. He defended the legislation, saying he's trying to stop people from exploiting illegal immigrants for cheap labor, drug trafficking and prostitution.

"Those who do that are 21st-century slave masters, just like the 19th-century slave masters that we fought a civil war to get rid of," Sensenbrenner said at the meeting.
"Unless we do something about illegal immigration, we're consigning illegal immigrants to be a permanent underclass, and I don't think that's moral."

Since Thursday tens of thousands of people have joined in rallies in cities including Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Atlanta, and staged school walkouts, marches and work stoppages.

The demonstrations are expected to culminate April 10 in a "National Day of Action" organized by labor, immigration, civil rights and religious groups.


I really disagree with Sensenbrenner’s quote. No matter what job an illegal immigrant is doing, when they get deported, someone else will move in and fill the niche. Allowing immigrants to come to this country doesn’t cause a lower class, low work wages cause a lower class.

I will be marking April 10th on my calendar. This “National Day of Action” sound like a great plan.

Tags:

|
Links to this post:
Create a Link