Sunday, March 19, 2006
Atheists, a Discriminated Minority?
The Star-Telegram has an article up about atheists and the ways that they are still discriminated against.

"Atheists are not very well-thought-of in America," says John Green, a senior fellow with the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. "It's still acceptable to criticize atheists in a way that's not polite. People may harbor negative views about Jews, Catholics, Muslims and evangelicals, but they know they're not supposed to voice those views, so they don't. But it's still OK to say anything bad you want about atheists."


As an atheist I really disagree with this statement. I’m not sure if it is because I live in a large city, but I’ve never personally felt as though I was discriminated against. Sure, there are the random slams by the religious right, but they slam anyone that doesn’t believe the same as they do. Really, it’s par for the course.

I also believe that the numbers of atheists mentioned in this article may be slightly low. I know a lot of people and I can comfortably say that only 2 or 3 of them are religious. I think that honestly, when polled, people are afraid to say that they are atheist. They hope that if there is a God, he won’t get all angry and flamy with them if they pretend to believe in him.

Tags:

|
Links to this post:
Create a Link