Monday, March 27, 2006
Abdul Rahman Update

Abdul Rahman has yet to be released, as .

Officials said the case was dropped Sunday partially because of concerns that Abdul Rahman is mentally unfit to face trial. The move also followed strong pressure from Western governments.

Prosecutors have said they want doctors to examine Rahman, but they have not confirmed that he would be released. Prosecutor Sarinwal Zamari said state attorneys were working on the case Monday and an announcement would be made later in the day. He declined to elaborate.

An Afghan official closely involved with the case told The Associated Press that the 41-year-old would be released, but authorities were debating how and when it would be done.


Simply, I have no doubt in my mind that this man will be killed when he is released. I want to be optimistic, but Afghani citizens are calling for his death due to his law breaking. I know I’m going to get slammed by Conservatives for this, but perhaps he should be placed in a mental facility. At least there he can some sort of security.

Face it, no matter how much we speak out about this, we are never going to convince an entire culture that their beliefs are wrong and that ours are right. In some ways, I think we may have made the situation worse. The Afghani community is even more upset, protesting western culture for interfering. This is no longer about a Christian convert. It has become a struggle between two different cultures, both with strong beliefs rooted in a couple thousand years of religious thinking.

I really don’t know what is left for us to do. I hope, with all that I am, that nothing happens to this man. Basic human rights should be the cornerstone of any country.

Tags:

|
Links to this post:
Create a Link